Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Fettuccine with Spinach Pesto

My lovely friend Martha (You know, Martha Stewart?) gave me several recipes to try, and tonight I did one.  Can you guess? I'll give you a second to think of what it could be....Got it? Fettuccine with Spinach Pesto (Maybe the headline gave away too much?).  This one was MUCH better than last week's recipe...but it was a little difficult to make...only for the fact that I don't have a food processor, and had to mix the sauce in the blender.  That did not go too smoothly, especially with my dad watching TV in the next room and turning the volume louder as I feverishly cranked the speeder higher and higher! However, the toil was worth it! It came out delicious (maybe a smidge-en lemon-y). My mom is thinking of investing in a food processor (I think you know you are getting old when you're more excited for household items rather than Barbies!), I think I will have a lot of fun with one if we do get it! Here's the recipe (You can also find it on Martha's site):
Fettuccine with Spinach Pesto
Serves 4

Ingredients:
12 oz. fettuccine
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving (optional)
2 tablespoons pine nuts, plus more for serving (optional)
1 garlic clove
1 teaspoon grated zest plus 2 tablespoons juice from 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
Directions:
1.) Cook pasta in a large bowl of boiling salt water until al dente, according to package instructions.  Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water; immediately drain pasta, and return to pot.
2.)While pasta is cooking, place spinach, Parmesan, nuts, garlic, and lemon zest and juice in a food processor.  Process until paste forms.  With motor running, add oil and 1/4 cup cold water; process until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.  Season with salt and pepper.  Add to pasta; toss, adding reserved pasta water a little at a time until sauce is thinned slightly and coats fettuccine (you may not need all the water).  Serve, sprinkled with additional Parmesan and nuts, if desired.


P.S. I got 100% on my Chaucer memorization! I studied hard, and last night I was restless at the thought that I might forget it in my sleep! I woke up at 5 a.m. repeating to myself, "Thanne longen folke to goon on pilgramages...Whan that Aprill with his shoures soote..." Over and Over.  When I was saying it to my professor I mixed up the lines in the middle but caught it...luckily! The quarter is almost done...then off to complete #2 on my list!

1 comment:

Kaylyn Machelle said...

Yum that looks great! And if I leave out the cheese and use whole grain pasta it can fit into our fast!!!