Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Book Review: The Giver by Lois Lowry

"'It is as if...' The man paused, seeming to search his mind for the right words of description. 'It's like going downhill through deep snow on a sled,' he said, finally.  'At first it's exhilarating: the speed; the sharp, clear air; but then the snow accumulates, builds up on the runners, and you slow, you have to push hard to keep going...'"
-The Giver by Lois Lowry

A young boy, named Jonas, lives in what is called a "Community."  Everything is pre-planned and the people living within are conditioned to believe their way of life is normal.  As Jonas grows as a character, we grow with him and start to understand why the "Community" is the way that it is.  

Throughout the whole book I was sure that I knew how it was going to end.  Spoiler Alert...kinda!  I thought for sure that it was going to end with another "Giver" telling the memory of Jonas (since the story is not narrated by Jonas).  I suppose I am not as astute as I thought.  I can see why it ended with Jonas leaving the "Community" but I didn't expect it.

This book was an extremely easy read (I think it is meant for middle-schoolers?  Or so I am told...I didn't have to read it in middle school).  Only 180-ish pages, with short chapters.  It was perfect to pick up here and there throughout the day where I had a few extra minutes (I hate stopping in the middle of chapters, but with this book I didn't have to!).  

I am going to head off to the library and see if my next book has come in (it has been more than a week- when they said it would only take 3 to 5 days!- and I haven't received an e-mail with the news that it has arrived.  I hope it is only a small mistake and that it is there....here's hoping!


No comments: